All patrons have the right to use the library undisturbed. Library employees and volunteers have the right to work without undue interference. In an effort to provide a safe, welcoming atmosphere for all, the Rowayton Library Board has approved the following Code of Conduct Policy:
- Interference with, harassment or intimidation of library staff, volunteers or patrons will not be tolerated. This includes but is not limited to verbal abuse or offensive language.
- Loud talking and unruly or disruptive behaviors such as running or rough-housing are not allowed in any area of the library.
- Misuse of or damage to library materials or equipment is not allowed.
- Use of audio equipment including but not limited to cell phones or other electronic devices that interferes with the quiet enjoyment of the library by its patrons is not permitted.
- Smoking, possession of weapons, use of narcotics or other controlled substances, and unapproved consumption of alcohol are not allowed in the library.
- Interference with patrons’ use of the library through poor bodily hygiene which is offensive as to cause a nuisance will not be permitted.
- Appropriate attire, including shirts and shoes, must be worn at all times in the library.
- Misuse of the library’s space that negatively affects the library as a clean, pleasant and safe place will not be allowed.
- Solicitation or panhandling within the library or on its grounds is not permitted.
- Personal property must not be left unattended in the library.
- All library materials or equipment being removed from the premises must be properly checked out. Library staff may inspect backpacks, handbags, briefcases and other packages to assure compliance with borrowing procedures.
- Animals other than those trained to assist disabled users are not permitted to stay for extended periods of time in a library. However, well-trained dogs are welcome to come into the library on a leash with their owners so that library materials can be quickly returned or checked out.
Any patron who fails to comply with the above provisions of the Tutoring Policy may be asked to leave the library immediately. Continued non-compliance or excessive violations may result in additional restrictions or the loss of Rowayton Library privileges. Behavior that is illegal or threatens the safety of other patrons, staff or volunteers will result in assistance from the police.